Wednesday, August 21, 2013

At the Close of Summer

I have thought so many times that I need to post. Over and over I hear things the kids say and do, knowing it needs to be recorded but so much is omitted from my journaling.
Well we bought a house:
Not very big or showy but it's our house and we love it. We have a fenced yard, a garage, a garden, and enough room to run around. I went to see my grandparents in California and they are my garden inspiration. My grandpa is a retired dentist and an engineer extraordinaire, my plan is to one day replicate his amazing gardening at my house. Here is where I have started:
Since the photo, the ground cover has grown, my little white crate herb garden is growing and it looks better. But then taking another picture is a tiny bit too much effort at this point, I think you can get the idea. Thanks Grandpa Dee for the advice and inspiration, I still want to build those grow boxes!

We went on a trip to California for a family reunion:
So fun to see the next generation playing together. The family just keeps growing.
Kayla is going in to first grade this year, FIRST grade! Can I even handle it, hardly. When I sent her away to Kindergarten it was exciting as I waved goodbye knowing I would see her again in a couple of hours. But first grade? I mean, what if she doesn't know where to sit at lunch? And what if she sits by herself because she can't find any friends? And then after lunch, what if she forgets where her classroom is? I really wish I could just go with her so she can ask ME all the questions and I can say "Hey, she looks like a nice kid, lets go say hi and I will help you make friends". I will sit with her at lunch, she can tell ME how she feels, she can tell ME her secrets, and she can tell ME about her fears. But I have to let go, with a lump in my throat and tears welling up in my eyes, I have to let go. I have to let her make mistakes, feel embarrassed, make friends, lose friends, get hurt, and sometimes even play alone. My only hope is that she continues to tell me everything and that we will stay best friends forever.
Oh Brody, here is the thing. You were made with an angelic little face, bright blue eyes and a cute little bod for one reason only: SURVIVAL. Otherwise we don't know what we'd do with you. He is Mr. Mischief. Climbs on top of the TV stand to unplug things, flushed Daddy's smart phone down the toilet, flushes everything he can get ahold of down the toilet, jumps off furniture without fear, wrestles relentlessly with McKay, takes off his diaper to poo on the living room floor, escapes and runs straight to the street. There was a time when I thought Kayla was high energy but I think Brody trumps anything I have ever seen. It's safer to keep him strapped in to a stroller or corralled in to a place where he can safely run around (like a padded room!) But his kisses, smiles, and the way he is a momma's boy, my life would not be as rich without him.
McKay likes mischief just as much as any other two year old but he has this really unique quality about him. He is so empathetic. Every time one of his siblings begins to cry, he pats them on the head, snuggles them and gives kisses. He is always concerned when someone is upset and loves peace. He is a cuddler and has a way of just melting right in to you. We found out recently that he also loves animals! We took the kids to the fair and in the petting zoo he ran from animal to animal just hugging them and petting them, grin from ear to ear. I don't think I have ever seen him get so excited about anything. Needless to say, we are entertaining the thought of getting a small goat. He would be in heaven.
As for us, Sean is in the Social Work Program at a University pretty close to where we live. He is working really hard and succeeding. He will be moving on to a Masters as soon as he is finished with his undergrad. He stays home with the kids while I work full time and we manage to work our schedules such that one of us is always with them. And I say he works hard in school but he works even harder being home with them. Twin toddlers is exponential child rearing and when you add a 6 year old that really needs our attention as well, it's all he can do just to survive and collapse at the end of the day. We spent some time in a neighboring mountain city for our 8th anniversary and it was fabulous. We stayed in a beautiful resort and cruised the town late at night NOT stressed about tired kids. We felt like we were dating again! Life is so busy and often exhausting but great. I love my job as a RN supervisor which has given me ample opportunity for growth. The summer seemed to fly by and there were so many things I wanted to do and didn't but we had a great time together. Trips, evening walks and lots of outdoor play kept us busy and active.

2 comments:

Ric Medley said...

Love ya Han, this post really helped me re-appreciate life - and especially you guys! Hi-5 and hugs, d

Heather said...

Greetings Hannah! Great post :-) I'm Heather and I have a question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)